Sunday, March 22, 2009

Taking My Life Into My Hands


This is the worst time of the year for me at work... Inventory. Blech. I hate it. Every year, we clean and organize for a week straight (hence the 6 day work week I'm currently enjoying), count everything, count it again, then people like me go behind the other people who can't count and recount what they've already counted twice, then the Home Office brings in an outside company made up of mostly illegal Mexicans who count everything that we've already counted for a fourth time, then we take a piece of paper with the total the outside agency counted to the people in charge, and then they issue us a paper back telling us to count it again because the illegal Mexican's total doesn't match our total. And this goes on until the wee hours of the morning.

My fun is amplified big time this year, though. Now that I'm a supervisor (which isn't as big a deal as it sounds)with career aspirations, I get pretty much be the gopher for my bosses, which ordinarily I wouldn't mind... Except for I was chosen for the dubious honor of being put in a cage that they raise with a forklift about 30 feet so that I can pull down tags on things we've already counted. And I'm terrified of heights. Like super terrified, in a big way. There's only one thing that scares me more than heights, and that's spiders. Luckily for me, there are a ton of spiders up there. So my fear is that I'll be in this little cage up 30 feet in the air, and I'll see a spider... At which point I'd wet myself and then pass out. My plan was either to work during the day so I would get out of it, or be pregnant and have my doctor write an excuse for me to get out of doing it. So much for that.

I hate inventory. With a passion.

The irony of this whole situation is that when I started working at my current job a year and a half ago when I was a stay-at-home-wife, it was supposed to be just a silly, part-time job that would give me spending money for Disney World. No responsibility, no obligations beyond just showing up, nothing. Who would have thought I liked my job and would want to advance in it as a career? I had careers and I hated them, and I go out and get a job and end up finding a career.

And now I get stuck doing inventory once a year. Blech.

3 comments on "Taking My Life Into My Hands"

Muppet Soul on March 22, 2009 at 4:04 PM said...

HA.

You could not get me into a forklift I am so scared of heights.

Brave, brave girl.

Unknown on March 23, 2009 at 7:42 AM said...

hey, found your blog on 20sb. I'm into xbox gaming, but not as much as you probably lol cool blog

I hate inventory too. you are not alone there

Xbox Maven on March 23, 2009 at 9:58 AM said...

@ Muppet ~ You're talking to somebody who can't stand near the glass on the second floor of a mall without getting really stressed out. Trust me, I feel your fear... :)

@ Mal ~ Thanks for stopping by! It's nice to see other Xbox gamers on here. :) What games do you play?

 

Xbox Maven Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez