Friday, March 13, 2009

I am truly a petty person...


I'm a flawed person. You'll never hear me say anything to the contrary. There are just times where I know my flaws are more obvious then they probably should be.

For example, I have a co-worker. Drama is her middle name. She's not happy unless she's either creating drama, perpetuating drama, talking about drama, or otherwise just being dramatic. I think it makes her feel important. Anyway, she's not especially well liked by anybody, especially me. Such people rarely are well liked, save for other people who thrive on drama.

The day before yesterday, I was at work and I saw a poster that this woman made that was supposed to be presented to actual clients, and this poster had two glaring spelling mistakes. I mean, they were so obvious it was embarrassing. I had to work in the department with this poster, with paying clients, and I was just mortified over this awful set of errors, so I took the poster down and leaned it by a desk. I figured that she was coming in the next day so she could do what she wanted with it... Fix it, trash it, whatever. I didn't care. I just didn't want to be in any way associated with the poster. My supervisor, however, had other ideas. He took out a Sharpie and proceeded to "correct" her poster.

I won't lie... There were two thoughts going through my mind... The first being that this woman was going to freak out, the next being that this woman was going to think I did it since I was the last person in the department before it closed for the day, and that the next time I worked with her would be a pure hell.

Sure enough, I go into work the next day, I get the iciest of cold shoulders. She won't give me the time of day. Pretty much a confirmation she found her poster leaned against the desk, saw the doodles, and assumed it was me. I casually weighed out if I should tell her that I wasn't the one who so recklessly defiled her horrid poster, but I decided against it. I figured that if I told her that, not only would I rat out my supervisor (who I like), but she probably wouldn't believe me and would probably want to argue about it. I let it go, deciding that if she asks, I'll tell her the truth but volunteering it on my own was just too much drama for me. So she worked, and I worked, and not a word was spoken between us. And so it went for 4 hours.


Eventually, my supervisor came to work and saw this woman, he told her that he was the one who doodled on her hideous poster. As was to be expected, she freaked out, announced she thought I was the one who did it, and then proceeded to create the most dramatic scene... Complete with flailing arms and the obligatory "How could you?!" He left and she ranted for another 10 minutes or so to nobody in particular... And then she started talking to me. And talking. And talking. And talking. And talking. Talking to me like she hadn't been totally ignoring me for the 4 hours prior. The Iron Curtain had been lifted, and an endless stream of verbal vomit followed.

At that point, I actually wished we could flash back to the start of the day where she thought I was the scum of the Earth who was out to destroy her hideous poster. Because if she was still thinking that, then she wouldn't have started talking to me.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I'm a petty person. I'm perfectly OK with a person I don't like being so mad at me that they won't speak to me, because it's better than be bothered by them otherwise.

0 comments on "I am truly a petty person..."

 

Xbox Maven Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez